You know those days when your hair looks amazing? You know, the good hair days? Well, lately I’ve been having good face days. I can attribute it partly to my skincare routine and partly to my recent experiment with a gluten-free diet, but I’ll admit, it probably has less to do with my actual face and more to do with what’s in my makeup bag.
You know I’m not a morning person. Most days I’m lucky if I have five minutes to put makeup on. (Actually, most days I bring my makeup bag to work and spend five minutes putting it on when I arrive.) Therefore, my carefully curated collection of everyday cosmetics is minimal and distinctly inspired by The Daily Connoisseur‘s Le No Makeup Look. These are the products that (for me) make any day a good face day.
2. Urban Decay Naked Basics Eye Palette. This neutral palette is a new addition. Trading in my shimmery shadows for something a little more practical…at least until summer. =)
3. Dior Diorshow Mascara in 090 Black. Only mascara I’ve used since 2004. Don’t plan on switching anytime soon. My favorite reaction? “Are you wearing fake lashes?!?”
4. Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer in Nude. I fell in love with this product after trying a sample a few years ago. It took me a little while to figure out how to use it best on my skin, though. The oil free version provides more coverage than the normal version, but it doesn’t quite provide enough moisture for my dry skin, so I layer this over my everyday moisturizer. Sometimes I’ll use the normal version instead, especially during the winter or if I’m ever wearing it alone. I love how dramatically it evens out my skin tone without washing me out. Plus, it’s super lightweight because it is, after all, a moisturizer and not a foundation.
5. bareMinerals Well-Rested Face & Eye Brightener. This brightener is a new product I’ve been trying out. I use it to cover up dark circles and illuminate just under my brows. I like it so far, but it’s too soon to say whether it will earn a permanent spot in my collection.
6. Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof Long Lasting Eyeliner in Noir Intense. Believe it or not, this eyeliner pencil was the only souvenir I brought back from my trip to Chicago. I normally steer clear of waterproof makeup because it’s impossible to remove. But eyeliner looks ridiculous unless it stays put, which is exactly what this incredible product does best.
7. Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Medium Ash. Even though I only use the lighter side of this duo, it’s a staple. I love using a powder to fill in brows because the effect is much less harsh than a pencil, in my opinion.
8. Laura Mercier Eye Basics in Linen. I’m pretty loyal when it comes to beauty products. I find something I like and stick with it for years. But lately, I’ve noticed that some of the favorites I adopted in high school aren’t pulling their weight anymore on my 31-year-old skin — particularly products I use on and around my eyes. I recently traded out an old favorite for this product, and I’m so happy with it! I’m not sure if this was meant to be just an eyeshadow base, but for me, it’s been pulling double duty as an under-eye concealer/primer. I’ve been applying it before my tinted moisturizer and just kind of blending the two together under my eyes. It’s amazing. The consistency is unlike any product I’ve ever used around my eyes before. It doesn’t crease, clump, wear off, or change appearance all day.
9. bareMinerals Original SPF25 Mineral Veil. Mineral Veil is still my favorite finishing powder. I think it reduces the appearance of pores and keeps my makeup looking fresh all day. Sometimes I’ll skip this if I’ve used the bareMinerals foundation powder (because layering powder upon powder upon powder makes my face look weird), but lately I’ve been skipping the foundation because my skin looks pretty good!
I’d love to know what your daily makeup essentials are. Do you use any of these products? Suggest any additions? Let me know in the comments! =)